Thursday, May 13, 2004

Try something new

Believing that life is something to be experienced and not just something to get through, it seems that new experiences can be some of the best experiences. With this in mind, I've always been curious about certain kinds of drugs. The fear of addictive drugs was drilled into my brain in public school and I was never really impressed with pot. But hallucinogenic material like "magic mushrooms" sparked my curiousity. LSD seemed like it might be too harsh and therefore scary, but mushrooms...

So I tried it. Since these mushrooms are illegal, I won't say where when or how. I laughed for about six hours straight - sometimes almost hysterically, sometimes just chuckling. It was an interesting experience, although not one I'm likely to repeat. It seemed to be an amplification of life and I thought it was hilarious that although I now "got it", there was actually nothing to get. The hallucinations came only when I closed my eyes, but the laughter was almost uncontrollable.

Not sure why people expect enlightenment or to be "saved" from a single experience (like Superman or prince charming or Jesus), but it certainly doesn't seem to work that way in my life. Being happy takes a continuous monitor on what kind of lies I might be deluding myself with. The truth may not be easier to live with but it makes life more live-able.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home